13 January 2009

To beard or not to beard

Assalamalikum everyone... so Im just listening to a lecture about the sunnah and benefits of the beard.. I always thought that I would like my husband to have a beard, not too big but enough to show him as a muslim insha'allah. But thinking about it, I dont see why its such a big deal for him not to.. did the prophet (saws) or Allah (swt) say it was haram to not have one? I thought it was sunnah.. so why do people make such a big deal if he doesnt have one, yes I understand that we should try to follow as many sunnahs as we can but is it really that bad if he doesnt follow this one?? Not everyone prays the sunnah salah or does sunnah fasting but people dont shout haram to them.. I would like to hear your opinions

6 comments:

  1. True some people put way more emphasis on this when there are other priorities as a Muslim. However, I dont see anything difficult in keeping a beard, rather you save time and money shaving lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beard is a very minor thing. There are many other ways to be a good muslim and a good person that are far more important, I think. And personally, I don't like facial hair ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dh has a beard..i wouldn't like him without one....and all the four schools of thought agree that it's prohibited to shave the beard..it may seem like a trivial thing to have a beard..but little by little we lose the things that identify us as muslims and that link us to the prophet muhammad(saws)if the least our men can do is to grow a beard we should encourage them...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. as salamu alaykum Ammena,

    It's true what you said. They could have the beard and still not have good muslim manners etc. For the men I think is a stage (if the brother is really working on his acts of ibaadah) same as wearing jilbaab or starting to think to wear the hijaab for the women(even if the hijaab is fardh, is a stage for the reverts).Insh'Allah your dh will have beard too in future, just make du'a for him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the beard is almost the male equivalent of the hijab in terms of it being too much emphasized when there are so many other things that should be first worked on ... ie. prayer, charity! I really have a strong opinion on this that just because a Muslim has a beard does not make him any more knowledgeable then one without it... I've heard people say that yes in fact listening to an imam with a beard is better! I mean really... God help us all to know the true way and to guide us in all things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salaams Sis:

    It's wahjib (mandatory) for the Muslim man to have a beard if he is capable of growing one:

    http://www.scribd.com/doc/7719217/The-Beard-between-Salaf-Khalaf-by-Muhammad-Jibaly

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, baring in mind that I dont have to accept them if they show ignorance, hatred or racism.. but I generally accept them all because what free country do we live in if you cant express yourself through my blogs?

UK Islamic Events Feed