First mention of Islam 'Islam means peace through the submission to God' nice eh? Next under the heading of Diversity in dress came 'A muslim girl has to keep her legs and arms covered. She wears loose fitting trousers with whatever clothes she has on. Older girls can wear a sari when they are about 15 years old. Muslim women always cover their head when they go out' Tick tick tick.. saris?? erm... me thinks teacher needs a bit of teaching here!!!
They do more about Judaism in the school lessons from what I see, obviously they dont really need to do Christianity as they have mass and classes separately.
Eeek. Scary
ReplyDeleteHmm that is interesting...Sari's only? (no offence to those wearing it) live on cultural influences! Gak! Well I suppose it could have been worse and they could have said bad things about Islam. I remember in High School that we had a world religion class and that was the first time I had actually learned about Islam - embarassingly I only remembered one thing... that Muslims pray 5 times a day - I remember the teacher saying that wherever they are ie. in a bus - they will stop and get out to pray. Mashallah at that time I was so impressed by that... and here it is 17 years later I still remember it! (OMG was it that long! Eek)
ReplyDeleteLol *Sari...defintly teacher needs teaching, what on earth is he/she teaching goodness...
ReplyDeleteMan its been ages since i last did RE i think it was year 11:P time flies by
I'm not surprised in the least. Trust me teachers out there are very ignorant of the R.E curriculum and I'm not muslim or I'm not jewish...is not excuse. If you are a teacher it is your obligation to have the subject knowledge of whatever you are teaching. I hate science but the kids don't know it and i make sure I know what I'm talking about :lol:
ReplyDeleteWho wrote that book? he/she needs education first before trying to educate :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat is RE? Religious Education? I never heard this term before.
ReplyDeletepart of what made me love Islam and think hard about it was my Geo/Hist Teacher talking about 5 pillars of Islam and her Saudi Exchange Student who lived with her for colledge. Thought it was soo beautiful and amazing.
Sari LOL I agree it could have been a lot worse. We didn't even STUDY the part of Islam in History, we skipped those chapters to go into the "modern era".