I remembered the post that Aalya posted awhile ago about the conversation she had with a work collegue. It was a little different for me as everyone knows Im muslim so its more of a why conversation. So one guy at work asked me on sunday how long my hair was, I looked at him funny, why i asked... oh just wondering. Ive never been asked anything like this before and felt really weird, so I thought of the answer to gave back to him and told him, long.. and he goes.. yeh cause you cant cut it can you. Then I put 2 and 2 together... we have a sikh guy in our plant who wears a turban and his hair is long (because they arent supposed to cut it) so I realised what he was getting at. I told him that we were different religions and he asked what religion I was and what he was, its funny the things that we assume everyone should know and probably need to realise everyone doesnt look into the world the same as everyone. Anyways, we went into a big conversation about why I wear a scarf and how he was shocked when he found out all my family are in UK (rather than some middle eastern country) He asked about what made me look into religion so I told him the whole story, hes the first person to really listen to me about all this and I was impressed.. but sometimes I was a little nervous at how I sounded. I mean I found myself saying some things and thinking.. wow, that sounds stupid :(
Another incident was with a few girls who I class as some good friends. One of them asked how long my hair was and commented that she had never seen my hair, shes very open minded masha'allah and I have already leant her some books to read about Islam. So she was quiet persistant with this, kept saying.. 'lets just see it, noone can see' so I lifted up my scarf to show her my hair all pulled up.. she was like, oh wow... yeh but I still cant imagine it. My question to all you hijabi ladies... would u let non-muslims see your hair? Im sure that if she ever comes around to my place, which she might be soon, I will have to have a word with her about not talking to anyone about it.
Anyways, its late... well not by my standards, but I know my mum will have me up early in the morning so I should probably get some sleep. Take care. And happy holidays to everyone out there.
my answer NO!!! as you can not trust them not to disclose details to others esp men..but then again at your descressionas you may know her well and have a good friendship with her so are able to trust her. I have been to some gatherings where it was a nouced a non muslim was attending and sisters put there hijabs back on , so yes it is an issue within Islamic sharia and you have to becarful.
ReplyDeleteoh dear.. you know I never thought about this. In my office, I sometimes close the door and take off my hijab with the 3 other ladies. But then , They have seen me before when I was not a hijabi. I really had the intention of...being more comfortable ( it's really hot in there !! I wear my scarf 12 hours a day or more ) and I was thinking that it was positive to show them that I CAN take it off , that it's not restricting anything.
ReplyDeleteNow I see I should have this talk with them. Incha'allah.
Since I got married and wear Hijab and put my life straight the Islamic way, I have found that it has had 2 completely different reactions from co -workers. I think all but 1, have come to respect me more and have made steps to ask questions and inform themselves better. The other one... has made my life a livable hell. Really she was my closest friend at work before this. But I have stuck to my persistence in enforcing my rights at work and even involving the Union.
There was once that my manager bawled me out in front of the others for this. In fact she tried to manipulate and make it about my religious choice ( to go to a lunch meeting and not get paid because they were serving lunch, she was saying I didn't want to eat because I was fasting. I said..no I would rather be paid with money than food and maybe, even if I was not Muslim, I did not like the food they served. That my religion had nothing to do with it. ) I insisted and got the Union involved and now we all get paid overtime for a lunch time meeting. Al hamdullilah.
I could have reported her and made an incident report ( I still might after writing this haha. getting me mad ) for the religious thing and also for yelling at me and defaming me in front of my colleagues.
Anyway.. all this to say.. the old me.. before hijab...and before practicing fully, would never had the guts to stand up and this has paid off in my self confidence and my co-workers despite the old friend that has tried her level best to destroy all respect and credibility and professionalism I had at work .
Reading this blog brings up a question in my mind is where do we draw a line between informing others or letting them bud into our privacy? A question we should all ask ourselves. Incha'allah.
Jazak'Allah Khair :)
Assalamu'alaikum sis!
ReplyDeletewhen u mean non muslim, you're meaning non muslim females, right?
juuussst double checking
i used to. then i heard that we shouldnt because those who are non muslims, regardless of their gender, and not at the two extremes of age, are considered not our mahrams. so i started not to uncover my hidjab.
then one time i moved into a flat that consists of 3 other muslimahs and another non muslim girl. so i covered whenever i left my room. but then my friend told me that she heard it was alright if we are living together. so i didnt cover infront of her.
i tried to do a quick search on some hadiths or fatwas just now... i know i've read it somewhere!!! cant find it now...
now i would usually cover.
but like, if a close non muslim female friend of mine comes over to my place, i wouldnt cover...
and like, i would sometimes be a little bit lenient if i have to change clothes in the female's changing room. wont go stark naked like how some women do though... would change in the shower/toilet but take my hidjab off outside
regarding not knowing if they'll tell other people what they see... it goes the same for both muslims and non muslim females. i know of a lady who felt more comfortable wearing hidjab infront of her female muslim friends, because she just got the feeling people talk and gives her the evil eye...
i know what you mean when you say sometimes we assume that everybody knows things... but then sometimes i'm surprised at how much they actually do! and then i reflect back on myself... do I know much about other people's ways?
well... that's my two cents' worth! gonna watch the 'make me a muslim' now...
sincerely,
Melor