6 January 2008

continued

anyways, I was in the convention hall phoning around the 1 friend who I knew was definately there already. I walked down the escalators to see the masses of people walking out of the lecture hall, remembering the layout of last year I walked towards the bazaar in hope of finding out a schedule. Still trying to phone her I bumped into a lady and immediately recognised her from a day trip I made 2 Ramadhans ago when I organised a day trip around different masjids in Toronto to which only this lady, Nihada turned up to. Masha'allah she was a lovely woman and we kept in touch through emails, and now I was stood infront of her, it was amazing alhamdulillah. She pulled me to the side and I asked what was happening now, to which she informed me that I hadnt missed asr salah and thats where she was going now. So I followed her and we had a chat about life, the things I had intended on last time we met, she asked about my hand and everything. We all prayed asr salah and then I left the area to check out where my friend was. Eventually I got hold of her and she told me to meet her at a booth, when I found her I knew this was going to be a memorable weekend insha'allah. Her and her family had allowed me to stay in their house for the weekend of the conference, for which I am immensely grateful for.

We settled into the room for the lectures, I had only missed the first one alhamdulillah and actually thinking about it now I think I bumped into a friend from where I used to live who I havent seen for ages and this is who I sat with for this first lecture of mine. Alhamdulillah, I text her when I got there and we met up in the lecture hall... it was so amazing to see her again, its been so long and I miss her tons. She started giving me arabic reading lessons and helped me so much when I needed to talk, may Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) reward her for her intentions. So I sat with her and her friend for the lecture: Reflections on Sura Hujarat by Ustadh Yahya Rhodus... masha'allah, impressive speaker.. I loved his arabic and the way he spoke masha'allah. My friend said (not the one in the pic) that he sounded like Hamza Yusuf when he was lecturing many years ago) I would like to look out for him to hear his lectures again insha'allah, he seemed a little ill with coughing and stuff so im sure his stuff would be even better when hes ok.
Then there was maghrib and food, at that point I remembered I had to go back to the car to put in another $10 for the additional hours of my parking... and it was so cold outside, I thought I would freeze. It was weird.. I was soo aware of the fact that I didnt really know the area, and it worried me a bit to be honest. However, alhamdulillah I got there and back with some food ok and then I met up with my sleepover friend. We checked out a little of the booths then went to find a seat to check out the next lectures, one thing that bothers me about this convention is all the people 'saving' seats or rows!!! for lectures at a time when you see noone sitting there. It got to the point were at the end, we would move the coats and sit there.. u cant do that, its just not fair!!
So the next lectures were arranging a marriage by choice by Mufti Muhammed Ibn Adam and The most eligible bachelor/bachelorette by Shaykh Yasir Qadhi, but they were actually switched around for some reason, or were they... im just thinking now, I really should have noted this down. I remember listening to the Yasir lecture and telling my friend, Im looking forward to this, I have a few lectures on my ipod and hes a good speaker masha'allah... but I think I was thinking of a different person. Anyways we sat through the lecture and to be honest we werent that impressed, one thing Ive come to learn as a new muslim is that born muslim speakers tend to generalise alot and dont think about their audience sometimes. Think about it, this convention was hosted in Toronto, a very multicultural city masha'allah with a big community of new muslims masha'allah and muslims from all over the world. Also it is a big student city with young adults and the convention is a youth movement masha'allah.. now bearing this in mind the shaykh talked and brought down MSAs (Muslim Student Associations) calling them Matrimonial Service Associations (I dont think that was the A but Im sure you get the picture) he also mentioned, speaking up for the sisters, that the brothers in this deen should remember that the women need respect (masha'allah) and that they had muslim fathers and muslim brothers and uncles who could put them into place if need be, now this was meant as a joke Im sure saying not to mess with the women... but does that mean that men can mess around new muslimahs because we dont have muslim fathers, or brothers, or uncles... that was insensitive and disheartening to hear.
Well, Im sorry but its nearly 130 and I need some sleep.. insha'allah Ill fill you in on more tomorrow. Fi amenallah

1 comment:

  1. isn't it lovely when unexpected nice things happen :)
    I agree with you about the last lecturer... sad .sad....
    unfortunately it's a reality that most born Muslims think this way... a lot of the men especially...marrying new converts... ughhh..that's another blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, baring in mind that I dont have to accept them if they show ignorance, hatred or racism.. but I generally accept them all because what free country do we live in if you cant express yourself through my blogs?

UK Islamic Events Feed