So this is my blog, this is my life, this is my world, these are my experiences. Feel free to roam, question and learn with me, comment as we go and leave your prejudices at the door please.
16 January 2008
Family
So my cousin has just had a little baby... not ideal situation but Allahu alim. But anyways, she has just asked me when I will be back in UK and I told her the next time Im home I will be probably home for good. She kept asking, but when? so I finally asked why and she told me she wants me to be her daughters god mother... What do I say to that? am I allowed to be? do they ask you if you believe in jesus as the saviour and all that? is it islamically allowed? maybe before you converted, but after? if anyone has any insight I would be grateful. JazakAllah khair.
Themes
family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember having to denounce satan and something about affirming belief in jesus )possibly as my savior). Kinda grey area, but sounds passable.
ReplyDeleteThe important thing is being there and being part of the childs life, and in case something horrid happens, accept him/her into yours.
Perhaps it's something you can call a priest about. Get the text of the baptism for the particular faith, read it over and see if it works for you. Maybe can find on internet?
thanks peter.. i think i will look around on the net.. isnt a big thing though, I dont think they will keep the christening for when im back in UK and i dont know when that will be
ReplyDeletesalam sis
ReplyDeletei would steer clear altogether christening have no origin in judaism and began5 and 6 century. only reference is "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you..."
Matthew 28:19-20 which doestn specify infants. and we no most of the bible is cut and pasted so baldy plus the authors are unknown. u can be there for her as u wud be anyway as a loving aunt.
I'm sure you can commit to being the baby's guardian/ mentor in some way that doesn't involve church ceremony or words that are out of our norms. insha'Allah.
ReplyDeletethe bigger point is that they are happily welcoming you into their child's life. you can accept and afirm that with wholeheartedness. masha'Allah to have such a closeness between you all. may Allah preserve it and increase it. amin.