22 February 2008

Chicago

Just a few comments about my time in Chicago, it all started to go downhill when I mentioned to the american immigration lady that I have never been to Chicago before. That was when her questions started, 'so who do you know in Chicago?' 'how long have you known her?' 'how long has she lived there?' 'Shes already married?' some people!! anyways got through that ok alhamdulillah, and even managed to get into Chicago without having to show my non hijab passport photo to a man :P alhamdulillah. Then I eventually got into Chicago and was surprised at the number of muslims I didnt see... I mean its a fairly big city and in my whole 4 days there I saw, erm... 5 muslims no 6... bearing in mind thats 2 sisters with each other (twice) and one guy who salamed me at the airport leaving. But, from the 2 groups of 2 sisters, one of the girls salamed me, which was nice... much cosier than when I was in London when no girl would even look at me to give me the chance to receive or give barakah for a salam, Allahu alim.
I think I got a few stares and some comments, but as usual I was in my own little bubble... I just hope it didnt make my friend uncomfortable although she didnt mention anything to me. On my way back in Chicago airport before I went through the metal detectors, the guy who was telling me to take off my shoes actually mimiced my hijab and told me in question form 'you can not take this off?' sometimes I get annoyed at silly questions like this... but I have to remind myself that not everyone understands the reasoning behind it. Then he shouts for some woman and tells me to wait over there, so the lady comes and tells me she has to search me because the contours of my body are concealed. This actually made me smile because that was the whole point of the outfit :p heehee, she even asked if I was ok doing this in public or would I like to go somewhere else which I thought was nice... anyways, that happened which was ok.
I told one of you that my mum had asked me to get her a bottle of Vodka in the airport, even though she knows I dont drink shes like... well Im not asking you to drink it, so I told her it depended on my time schedule... then I was intending on telling her I was running too late to stop. I got into the terminal and subhanallah.. I couldnt find the duty free store anywhere!!! alhamdulillah. I mean it! no perfume, no chocs, no alcohol, I was so happy lol :D
Anyways, Ive just got back from Jummah and now its time to get myself sorted for work :P
Peace and Salams, Ammena

3 comments:

  1. don't you just "love" airports and airport staff...NOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salaams :),

    new things to me!I didn't know it could be so "stressing" to travel for a Muslimah.Maybe I live in a bubble :)))!Anyways,the most important thing is that you had a nice time.
    Oh...I know my mom would do the same if I would be on an airport:"Please,could you bring me that good red wine?"...Ha,ha,ha...those funny mothers!But...not with me mom ;).You just have to take it with humor!

    ***

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is terrible traveling especially overseas. or even sitting in the airplane where there may not be many hijabis you will get many many looks. but it's just a test from Allah to see if we can handel it. and inshallah we all do!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, baring in mind that I dont have to accept them if they show ignorance, hatred or racism.. but I generally accept them all because what free country do we live in if you cant express yourself through my blogs?

UK Islamic Events Feed