
Salams everyone out there,
so yes Im back in Canada after 4 days out in the windy city of Chicago, although it wasnt really windy at all. The weather was amazing, cold on my first day and it rained a little but on sunday it was 9degrees and thats celcius!!! whereas in my city I believe it was freezing rain. Ive uploaded my pics onto facebook for those who I know more so you can check them all out there and I will upload some onto this blog too after Ive told you a little about my time over there.
so yes Im back in Canada after 4 days out in the windy city of Chicago, although it wasnt really windy at all. The weather was amazing, cold on my first day and it rained a little but on sunday it was 9degrees and thats celcius!!! whereas in my city I believe it was freezing rain. Ive uploaded my pics onto facebook for those who I know more so you can check them all out there and I will upload some onto this blog too after Ive told you a little about my time over there.
I had an amazing time, first of all I realised that Ive known this girl for nearly 8 years now and that I havent seen her for about 6 of those since my second year of university, I went on placement then she went on placement then I left for Canada. However, we had such fun and you wouldnt believe that we hadnt seen each other in so long. We remembered the good times about uni, and the bad times, we tried to place everyone in our living block, we complained about the people who we lived with, we talked about the places we used to frequent, the new things that changed in the city after I left (she was there for 1yr after I left) We chatted about how things have changed in our lives since then, how much we miss university or perhaps just the studying and having that routine, we talked about the summers and how the sun always fitted into our studying routine.
It amazed me at how comfortable I still was around her and her around me, when we first met in the airport my hijab didnt phase her at all. All throughout the 4 days she asked me questions I find people are normally too shy to ask, but she knows me and knows my character that I ask questions and I want ppl to talk to me rather than bottling things up. She asked me about my hijab, how I wear it and where I get them from, it always amuses me that people think we have to buy scarves in certain shops when pashminas are still so widely used in the world for visual and fashion reasons :) She even wasnt phased when I would casually slip in, 'ok, so then I will pray and then we can blah' I suppose she is used to the praying, she mentioned her next door neighbour used to wake her up in Bradford with his praying :P I even talked to her husband about Islam (hes jewish) and covered some things he thought was islamic like female circumcision. So was nice to out his mind to rest, and he even asked me a question to ask 'muslims' he wanted to know about our books, you know when we say 'its written' and we talked about destiny and stuff.. so he asked if everything is written what would happen to the person who had killed Hitler as a child? My answer? I told him it wouldnt be good as the killing of a child is not good. His point was, well if this childs destiny is to kill all these people then to get rid of him early would be good, no? and I told him even though his destiny may be written, who are we to know that but he kept going back to the child being Hitler.. he just couldnt get past that, and that bothers me sometimes when people keep going back to the same point. Anyways...
We saw so much stuff over there, even things that my friend has never seen before which was nice. We saw the bean (the silver metal looking thing) the field museum, the Modern Day Ice Exhibition, the oriental institute, the sears tower, these were the things we went to see... but I also saw the soldiers field, Navy pier, the aquarium. We tottered around downtown chicago and around the university of Chicago for awhile too, did tons of tourist shopping and on Monday we went to the shopping centre and I bought a ton of stuff from Abercrombie & Fitch :D heehee.








Assalamu alaikom, habibti, regarding the killing of Hitler as a child... Look up Surah 18 (specifically, 18:74.) How interesting, that you had this conversation with this man!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a nice trip to Chicago! I hope to go there again in the summer, insha'Allah.
-J
aslamu alakum sister
ReplyDeletewow mashaallah well done !!!! sounds like a great trip and i am glad you did it!!! sorry can't help on the hitler front. Its nice to be able to still have ties with old friends from the past as they share a part of your history!
Salaam Alaikum Ammena :)!
ReplyDeleteOh...your post seems very interesting,but I don't have time to read it at the moment.I'll come back and give it a second glance...the pictures are so nice!
Hope you're doing fine!
Till next time!
Assalaamu alaikum,
ReplyDeleteNice pics masha'Allah... saw the other on FB earlier too. :)
Definitely read the story of Musa (AS) and Khidr regarding your Hitler discussion. ;)
Salam... welcome back!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great time. When we were there it was late summer and Navy Pier was amazing, so vibrant with people and things to do! The Aquarium was truly inspiring!
Your pics are great... :)
As Salaamu Alaikum Sis:
ReplyDeleteAlhamdulillah that you had a nice time in Chicago; I was raised there and still have family there.
AsSalaam Alaikum
ReplyDeleteMashallah, it sounds like you had a great time - and some interesting discussions.
Salaams Ammena :),
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to have finally read your post,because it is really beautiful.It relaxed me in a way.It is nice to imagine two girls having fun in Chicago.Keep this friend close to you.She really respects you!
Oh,of all the pictures I like the most the one with the plane and the one with that bean made of metal.Beautiful!
I wish you many more times like this :)!God bless you!
***