So, Ive been feeling a little sick this weekend and after deciding not to drive up to my mums to face uncomfort with her and her friends I tried to stay in my pyjamas. I just got changed after deciding I needed some fresh air and to check out if there were any sales on dresses in Old Navy. I changed into my long cord skirt and tshirt and a scarf my friend bought me while I was in Huddersfield last year. Obviously I wore a cardigan over the top, Im feeling a little warm thats why I went for the tshirt.
So Im driving back after seeing nothing that I could gladly hand over my hard earned cash for and I was just thinking about how my fashion sense has changed. Some of you may not think its changed, Ive always thought of myself as being pretty up to date with fashion as long as it suits me and I tend to go for a few cue items rather than the whole outfit. It got me thinking, apparently when I was a kid I hated all things girlie which included dresses, skirts and any girlie colours. Give me denim and dark colours anyday, I think I did go through a 'black' phase at school and I was so grateful when it came my chance to wear trousers at school rather than skirts. Then as an older teenager I did buy dresses, to make me feel more grown up (which they didnt!) and then I reverted back to denim and lighter colours :) yellows and blues, always my favs.
Now as I was looking in my wardrobe I have a few long skirts that I love to wear and love how they make me feel. They make me feel like more of a woman and I like that, I like the cover that they give me. I dont have to make sure my top is long enough to cover my behind, or check out how tight they are when I bend down. The only thing that stops me wearing them over here is the weather (maybe I should have invested in some wool tights) and work. Obviously in the job I work with where there is much running around and heavy machinery, where I wouldnt feel comfortable for my life in a shayla let alone a flowy skirt.
Maybe when Im back in UK skirts will become more of a part of me. I just found it strange as to how things have changed over the years, I think at university I properly got into skirts (eventhough they werent all long at the time) and I feel comfortable in them. People have problems with them because they cant run if they would need to, for me.... they have to be a certain cut in the first place otherwise I wouldnt buy them.. so thats something I dont need to worry about alhamdulillah.
Anyways, just wanted to tell you all :)
Peace and salams, Ammena
aslamu alakum ameena hey i love your fashion sense , you always look great mashaAllah, i like your style of smart dress , i am not a casual dress person but i see you like easy casual too. i lookforward to your clothes post and bargin pointers mashaAllah!
ReplyDeleteSalam Himalaya. Since I became Muslim, I wear a lot of long skirts. but only because I could not find long shirts. I really love pants. I find it easier to work and walk and even sit !! lol
ReplyDeleteanyway..u have good fashion sense ;P