23 April 2008

I have it

Officially I can now prove I have canadian citizenship. Not that I couldnt before with my little card, but it isnt the most recognised this... I now have a canadian passport and have to say Im impressed with the speed. I took the application to the passport office last monday and I just got it now, masha'allah. Its weird to look at, so flimsy and thin compared with my UK passport. I realised the other day that I didnt really have to get it, could have just used the card and my normal passport but oh well... I did it now :P I also decided to get it without hijab just for the reason that at the moment family will want to see it and hmm.. might be a big shock seeing me in hijab. Im really actually not intending on using it, which you probably think is weird.. I think its a security thing for me.. its there now, I have something to show for these 4 years of living over here. I also cant believe its been nearly 4 years over here, it feels like longer.. but then it doesnt feel like that long. Understand? Its weird to explain. Ive made lots of friends over here.. granted not as stronger friendships with some as I have in UK but its generally because I dont spend as much time with them. The few strong friendships I have here is with people who I see fairly often, although funnily enough I have 3 close friendships with girls who I knew before actually moving over here, (2 of which read my blog so Im sure they know who they are) and although they all live far from me I have that relationship with them that I dont have to see or talk to them for awhile (which is good because they live 1hr, 7hrs and 4hrs away from me, in a different city, province and country :P) when I do see them its like we have never been apart. I miss have girls around me.. that I can just phone up and say, wanna do something. Everything is so vast over here that most times, you cant do that.. either because you have to travel so far to get to them or that they have already made plans after not expecting anyone to do anything. When I was in uk at school, my friends lived about 15mins drive from me max, at uni.. well across the hall usually :P living down south prob 20min drive max so Im used to things being a lot closer and feel very much more lonelier being so away from people and things over here. My mum says she feels claustrophobic when she goes home... but for me I feel safer :) Allahu alim.
Anyways, just wanted to share the fun news with you... oh yeh, on a down side.. I found out yesterday Im starting my nighttime 12 hr shift on may 5th :( which means Im working on my bday and my mum said they will come over to visit, blah!!! its mothers day too!! double blah!! Its only for 2 months, thats what I keep telling myself.
Peace and salams, Ammena

9 comments:

  1. congrats on the passport sis.... hope the pic is a good one...lol
    I've just had to renew my kids passports and they look like a right bunch of reprobates....hehe
    Don't stress too much over the 12 hour shift..it's good practice for marriage and motherhood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aha .... blogger loves me again...the comment went through first time...you do realise you're no longer safe don't you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamu alaikom,
    Wow, I can't wait to see your passport. That's so cool. Ugh, twelve hour night shifts have GOT to suck. The man is about to start a new sucky shift, himself. I can't believe you got your passport so quickly, remember it wasn't that long ago that Canadian authorities were bemoaning the new American rules about requiring passports for border crossing. They said it was causing a massive system overload. Guess that doesn't exist anymore! They kept pushing the date back for passport requirement for land crossing but I think January 2009 is going to stick. So, if you ever decide to come see me and it's beyond January 2009, you can use that shiny new Canadian passport. Which, I do hope you'll come visit me before you move back to the UK. I've been in this house for three years now, you mentioning that you've been in Canuckistan for four years makes me think about that. Anyway, the distances are annoying here sometimes but think of the variety. I love this about North America. We've got frozen arctic tundra and scorching hot desert. How cool is this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wooo hooo... you have a passport welcome to the club ...lol
    You really did receive it very quickly...I'm surprised actually that they processed it that fast :)

    Night shift :( you'll get through it

    I can understand that its hard not to just pick yourself up and go out with friends... but at least there is the internet, you get to 'see' your friends online. Remember the times of having 'pen pals' (maybe you're too young (wink) to remember those times) you would have to wait days or weeks to get things back...not now, its instant - mashallah how things have progressed!!

    ( a question at the end of your blog it says 'its just for 2 months' - what does that mean?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam girls.. thanks for the comments. Kate: 12 hours? thats all my motherhood and wife shift, hmm.. that wont be so bad :P (I wish!)I look forward to more comments from u insha'allah.
    Anon: insha'allah I will visit you before i leave to go back to uk.. with these new shifts I have 3 days off sometimes.. so maybe a long weekend insha'allah.
    Aalya: 2 months! Im only on the shift for 2 months, then I go back to afternoons until they find someone else to take the place of the other guy (we need 4 ppl to do this shift)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your passport sis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mabrook on the passport!!

    I have the oddest question, after four years in canada do you still have your british accent?

    accents and the acquiring of/losing of absolutely fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. salam Molly.. yes I do still have my accent :) alhamdulillah, I dont think I could lose it now. Insha'allah ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salaams Sis:

    I also congrat you on the passport. One less thing on the to-do list!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, baring in mind that I dont have to accept them if they show ignorance, hatred or racism.. but I generally accept them all because what free country do we live in if you cant express yourself through my blogs?

UK Islamic Events Feed