19 January 2009

The Niqab

I moved back to UK November 2008, Ive been looking for a job ever since. Ive spent a month in London where I was 'in' the muslim community unlike while Im up north staying with my family. Down south I went to a few muslim events, namely the Eid event in Ruislip which was such fun masha'allah.

Anyways, to not digress, one thing I have noticed about the muslimahs over here is the girls who wear niqab for the big free mixing events that go on in the community. Now Im not saying this is a bad thing, Im not judging and Im definately not debating whether niqab is fard. All Im noticing is that in Canada girls didnt wear it as much at events for 'feeling the eyes' and also Im gonna tell you that this is from girls that I was able talk to about their wearing of those few layers of cloth.

I wonder why that is.. why do girls in Toronto feel safer for showing their faces at Islamic events than in London. Interesting.. I dont know whether its a figure thing.. like I only notice it more here because there is a smaller group of girls.

Thoughts anyone?

1 comment:

  1. I think London is a place for spirituality - the most muslim you can get in the West. Its a soup of different races backgrounds and ethnicities, while places in Canada and the US you usually get a cluster of one people in a particular area. From what I have experienced Sisters in the UK seem to be much more involved in the deen, wearing jilbabs and niqaabs more frequent than I have ever seen in the US. I am not sure why that is the case, but I think it has to do with the environments. London alone has over a million Muslims and that is a figure you cant find anywhere else in Canada or US in one single city and Amricans claim that there are about 3 million (although muslim organizations say it's 7 million)in the whole US! compare the size of london to the entire united states!

    I guess that partially has to do with it! But alhamodlillah they are wearing them :)!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, baring in mind that I dont have to accept them if they show ignorance, hatred or racism.. but I generally accept them all because what free country do we live in if you cant express yourself through my blogs?

UK Islamic Events Feed