So what is expected of me? what will be happening? Once again we are trying to organise a big thing while not being in the country let alone the area which is slightly disheartening. I want to be part of going around and checking the venues, trying on the suits, looking through catalogues of table ware and stage setups.. this is all so new and different to me I think thats the reason why though.
As far as I gather from translations from hubby, we may have found the hall to hold the party which is one thing. Im having a henna party on the Friday night, with the tent outside and me in the house.. his mum is collecting information about the food and decoration for the hall. You see I know all the factual things, its just really what is expected of me and what Im supposed to do for all this time. Im looking forward to meeting Aisha over there for the henna party so at least I will be able to talk comfortably with one person. I think we would have been over there for just over a week before the actual start of things, so gives me time to adjust.. to people, temperature, food, language.
We have fabric here that was bought from Saudi by a friend of hubbies which Im thinking to get made for a suit for the henna party as its so pretty.. but then (as was pointed out to me) ami might already have a suit in mind for that party, so I have to stop thinking of what I want ;) I originally said to my husband that as long as they are fine with me covering then they can do whatever they want that we are both comfortable with. Alhamdulillah they have been fine with everything so far :) I worry that they will think Im being all 'I am' but insha'Allah it will be ok and they can see the great man their son has grown into since they last saw him so long ago.
I will be wearing the traditional red lenga for the walimah which Im very much looking forward to :D Im currently looking for a tikka and a red nose ring which I have seen here in a shop so Im thinking to buy it before we go over :) we cant really afford much of the 'bridal jewellery' that is so traditional and his mum keeps asking, what will she wear around her neck lol.. bless her, masha'Allah
Here are a few pictures to keep you on your toes until we come back end of April ;)
Here are a few pictures to keep you on your toes until we come back end of April ;)
![]() |
| Red Tika |
| Finishing touches, although hubby doesnt understand the need for henna seeing as I will be covered up ;) |
| Bridal feet |
![]() |
| Blood red lehenga (minus the bare midriff obviously) Im still unsure as to whether I will need long sleeves if the duputta is this big, feedback?? |
Peace and salams
Ammena


Mash Allah everything looks beautiful. Love Love love the henna designs on the feet! I would go with long sleeves just incase the duputta gets brushed or pulled back on an accident. That is the best thing about indian and pakistani culture.. the red for weddings... it is soo vibrant and i feel give a joyous feeling. Good luck:)
ReplyDeleteIt just so happens I went to a Pakistani Walimah yesterday with my husband and kids... Very Un-Islamic!!! Oh and BTW.. it's supposed to be a joyous occasion yet, the bride is not allowed to show it!!! always with the head down and barely a smile... Oh well.. to each his/her own!
ReplyDeleteCoooool!!!!
ReplyDeleteI tried to post a bit yesterday but had a little computer hick-up I think :-)
ReplyDeleteI would suggest an amira style hijab or something similar, to put on under the bridal dupatta, that way you are all covered and they can do the fashionable setting for the bridal dupatta when you finish your make up in the parlor. And maybe a long sleeve under shirt, sometimes the sleeves of the sharara might end up a bit short.
I wouldn't use a nice cloth for the mendi suit, they sometimes rip the sleeves in the parlor for waxing and mendi(if you get it done there), so it might get mendi on it. Would you get a tailor there or over here?
Definitely wait on the bindia, they are really easy to find here, and usually come with the full set- necklace, earrings, bindia(tika) for the forehead and another called I think jumar(sp?) that hangs off center.
You probably won't have to do much at the actual party, just sit and look down modestly while everyone in Karachi waits in a queue to get their pic taken with you! Picture taking is usually the main part, the photographer stand there clicking away while different groups of relatives come and sit with you and then get up to make space for the next group.
salam,
ReplyDeleteoooh, so exciting!!! gorgeous stuff. i would be sooooo nervous in your shoes! can't wait to hear about it and see all the photos!
What will happen specifically at the wedding will depend on what ethnicity he is and what the particulars of his family weddings are. I was kind of like you, I just showed up and let the ILs direct me, basically.
ReplyDeleteJewelry is very much cheaper in PK, I would strongly advise against making any purchases in the UK because you can will have a huge variety at a far lower price right there in KHI. The gold price is so high right now, I feel sorry for families who have to buy a lot of jewelry. If your ILs would accept this, perhaps you can wear silver but gold plated mang tikka/jhoomar since you would probably not wear one again (or hopefully they have one that is used by everyone in the family or you can borrow one). But it couldn't hurt to get an aroosi (bridal) set so you will have that to wear at PK functions, especially ladies-only events in the UK. You should have something around your neck for sure, even if it is gold plated and not solid. Your ILs might feel it reflects badly on them if you don't.
I requested that my ILs have my bridal dupatta made with a solid fabric instead of organza so it wouldn't be see-through. I had 3/4 sleeves made (fell a few inches above my wrist) because I wore a full set of gold bangles on one arm which covered my wrist and a large set of glass bangles on the other arm, so my arms were covered.
Oh, this is gonna sound weird, but if you are tall and have not-petite feet or wide feet, you might want to bring your own bridal shoes (matte gold tone sandal style high heel should work). They have gorgeous shoes, very ornate in KHI, I mean so gorgeous! But I have wide feet and they are all extremely narrow and they are painful for me. I don't have large feet but I heard from tall girls that they couldn't find any shoes that fit right cuz of lack of larger sizes.
Love ya... aren't you glad you loooked into it...now you have some idea as to what is what.... Tee-hee I can't WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteRABZ
Inshaallah you will find all what your looking for but i cant agree more this kind of traditional stuff is cheaper in Pakistan. Perhaps when you come over we can go looking in some bridal shops on Green ST.
ReplyDelete