As you know Im trying to learn a new surah.. it isnt going well because I just cant get the push to start but that isnt why Im posting. Im wondering how you all learn your surahs (for the non arabic speakers) and if you do learn the english, how do you keep it in your head.. Ive found that I dont really remember much of the English that I originally learnt and feel guilty for this.. but do I continue? Or go back to relearn the English.
Isnt it important that I should know what Im saying five times every day?? Feedback welcomed
Isnt it important that I should know what Im saying five times every day?? Feedback welcomed
I like to write the transliterated surah on a large piece of paper and hang it up in front of the area where I pray. I write one line of the transliteration and then underneath it write the English meaning and read it from the wall when I pray. It is slow going, but it helps with the small surahs. I also listen to the surah on the computer to make sure that I have the pronunciation correct, because I have had some problems when what is written does not sound like it is supposed to.
ReplyDeleteand once you have memorised, do you still remember the english??
ReplyDeleteWith the smaller surahs I can remember the meanings better. It does get harder with the longer ones, but I can usually remember the main points if not the exact wording.
ReplyDeleteI learn the arabic from this great website, I go one word at a time and I repeat until I have memorized a verse, then go on to the next verse.
ReplyDeleteIt would be the same for English. Just read a few words at a time, then repeat over and over again.
Repeatation is the big key here.
http://transliteration.org/quran/WebSite_CD/Beginner/Fram3.htm
asalaam alaikum sister,
ReplyDeleteon you tube there is a great version of Minshawi recitor of short surahs with arabic, english and english translitration....he is really clear, Masha Allah.
umm Tareq
I use mounthira.com, then re-write many times until I've got it. I usually memorize the english meaning before because it takes me less time. Then it's just practice putting them together...
ReplyDeleteAssalaamu Alaykum
ReplyDelete1.
If you have an mp3 player you can download the surah, line by line - maa shaa Allaah, the recitors Minshawy or Husary have slow recitation. http://www.everyayah.com/data/Minshawy_Murattal_128kbps/ (look for the surah number and then the ayah number - eg 114001 is first line of Surah An-Nas [the mankind]).
2.
To get a word by word meaning
http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp
3.
ayah by ayah
http://www.versebyversequran.com/site/
4. quran tracker
http://www.qurantracker.com/how_it_works
In shaa Allaah take it slowly, may Allaah make it easy for you and all of us, aameen.
Wasalaam,
As Salaamu Alaikum Chica
ReplyDeleteFor me I break the surah down... I listen to the CD and have either the Tranliteration out or the arabic out to go over it... than when I make Salat I recite the ayats I remember. For instance I am learning Surah Ar-Rahman. I have ayata 1-8 memorised but not mastered...once I master it I will move on to ayat 9 and so on.
Also writing it down... help too... Instead of humming a song I recite the as much as the ayat I know until I can master it fully
Nice and informative post on this topic thanks for sharing with us.Thank you
ReplyDeleteSalam,
ReplyDeleteI always forget...which is dumb, really, cuz it doesn't feel meaningful when I don't know what I'm saying...but there ya go, there it is. :-/