... I apologise for not keeping up with this blog, but let me tell you all that I am reading each and every blog that changes in my blogroll :) Ive been very busy with work, we have recently moved onto proper shifts after 2 people left the company so now Im back working Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday followed by a week off. A week off?? Thats alright! I hear you all say but let me get it out that I work 12 hour shifts starting around 2am. Yes, you read right!! 0200!!! So, do I now deserve that week off?? I think so!! Previously I was pretty much working Monday - Friday.. same start time, same length of shift.... so you can see why I havent been updating.. plus Ive just (yesterday masha'Allah) finished all my fasts, thats my make up fasts from Ramadhan and my Shaawal fasts... so I was coming home from work about 4pm, getting straight in bed and sleeping until hubby went for Asr, then I would stay up until Maghrib, eat and then sleep until it was time to get up for work.. so when I was home I was generally sleeping. Ok enough of the sympathy vote lets get on to a proper blog :D
What can I tell you about??? well there are two major things going on in my life at the moment, one is that Im getting braces fitted on September 30th.. top and bottom.. and the other is that we are planning for our next holiday in December to Canada.. Lets discuss my braces seeing as they are happening first and that the holiday planning is actually starting to give me a headache.
So I should have gotten braces a long time ago.. when I under 10 my dentist decided to take out a shed load of teeth (12 in total) to give my mouth room so I wouldnt need braces. When I was about to leave for university at the grand old age of 19 I went to a dental hospital in Liverpool who told me because I was going away to study (Bradford) that it was best to get it all sorted out there as I would need monthly adjustments. Who in their right mind thinks about dentists when they are living the life of freedom at uni?? WHO?? Needless to say I didnt get them!! I did have my top 2 wisdom teeth removed in a hospital in Liverpool before I moved to Canada though.
Upon arriving in Canada the dentist told me I needed braces, really??!! but first I needed my bottom 2 wisdom teeth out! WTH!! Then I moved again (yeh what can I say.. Im a wanderer) and of course it took me another 18 months to get myself an appointment. At this appointment the orthodontist felt compelled to make me feel even worse about my smile by asking would I contemplate jaw surgery as my jaw is slightly lobsided. .and even took a photo to prove it to me! All that and THEN he slapped me with the $6000 fee for those horrible metal things that make everyone feel like a kid. I mentioned to him I was thinking of leaving Canada with in the year (deja-vu eh!) to which he told me to get it sorted over there.
The funny thing is that I really dont mind going to the dentist, Ive been going every 6 months since I was small.. Ive even recently just got hubby on the bandwagon (after no-shows since he came over here in 2007!) Its just these braces that are like a thorn in my side... so anyways, in June 2010 my dentist made a comment about them and the fact that her husband (my orthodontist) is starting clinics at my dentist. I love my dentist, shes so cool and down to earth so I thought why not and her husband is exactly the same, although I wouldnt give as much emotional comments to and I definately wouldnt ask HIM if I can breastfeed while wearing braces (dont ask!) Anyways, he gave me a consultation and sent out a letter detailing what needed to be done, the options and the cost. I just recently found the letter after looking for the details.. to my surprise in my head I had 18 months worth of treatment.. whereas the letter says approximately 12 months which makes me happy. I know, I know it depends on how my teeth react but the less time, even if it is an approximation, is better in my books.
So now Im undecided as to what type to get, my options are metal or ceramic brackets.. yeh not much option but there are so many different opinions out there I dont know who to listen to. Ive read that ceramic brackets arent as strong and therefore delay treatment, that they stain with tea, curry and other dyed foodstuffs, that its only the elastic that stains, that the metal is extremely painful against the inside of your lips... so much stuff to read to make this decision :(
But alhamdulillah, Im just glad that Im finally going to get this done and have a smile to be proud of insha'Allah
What can I tell you about??? well there are two major things going on in my life at the moment, one is that Im getting braces fitted on September 30th.. top and bottom.. and the other is that we are planning for our next holiday in December to Canada.. Lets discuss my braces seeing as they are happening first and that the holiday planning is actually starting to give me a headache.
So I should have gotten braces a long time ago.. when I under 10 my dentist decided to take out a shed load of teeth (12 in total) to give my mouth room so I wouldnt need braces. When I was about to leave for university at the grand old age of 19 I went to a dental hospital in Liverpool who told me because I was going away to study (Bradford) that it was best to get it all sorted out there as I would need monthly adjustments. Who in their right mind thinks about dentists when they are living the life of freedom at uni?? WHO?? Needless to say I didnt get them!! I did have my top 2 wisdom teeth removed in a hospital in Liverpool before I moved to Canada though.
Upon arriving in Canada the dentist told me I needed braces, really??!! but first I needed my bottom 2 wisdom teeth out! WTH!! Then I moved again (yeh what can I say.. Im a wanderer) and of course it took me another 18 months to get myself an appointment. At this appointment the orthodontist felt compelled to make me feel even worse about my smile by asking would I contemplate jaw surgery as my jaw is slightly lobsided. .and even took a photo to prove it to me! All that and THEN he slapped me with the $6000 fee for those horrible metal things that make everyone feel like a kid. I mentioned to him I was thinking of leaving Canada with in the year (deja-vu eh!) to which he told me to get it sorted over there.
The funny thing is that I really dont mind going to the dentist, Ive been going every 6 months since I was small.. Ive even recently just got hubby on the bandwagon (after no-shows since he came over here in 2007!) Its just these braces that are like a thorn in my side... so anyways, in June 2010 my dentist made a comment about them and the fact that her husband (my orthodontist) is starting clinics at my dentist. I love my dentist, shes so cool and down to earth so I thought why not and her husband is exactly the same, although I wouldnt give as much emotional comments to and I definately wouldnt ask HIM if I can breastfeed while wearing braces (dont ask!) Anyways, he gave me a consultation and sent out a letter detailing what needed to be done, the options and the cost. I just recently found the letter after looking for the details.. to my surprise in my head I had 18 months worth of treatment.. whereas the letter says approximately 12 months which makes me happy. I know, I know it depends on how my teeth react but the less time, even if it is an approximation, is better in my books.
So now Im undecided as to what type to get, my options are metal or ceramic brackets.. yeh not much option but there are so many different opinions out there I dont know who to listen to. Ive read that ceramic brackets arent as strong and therefore delay treatment, that they stain with tea, curry and other dyed foodstuffs, that its only the elastic that stains, that the metal is extremely painful against the inside of your lips... so much stuff to read to make this decision :(
But alhamdulillah, Im just glad that Im finally going to get this done and have a smile to be proud of insha'Allah
oh my, thats a lot of teeth and alot of trips, well least its sorted, you have even made me rethink my braces!x
ReplyDeletei had my braces six months ago.they were literally horrible.even i had metal braces.but the dentist used to change the elastic every two weeks.
ReplyDeleteHeathu:
ReplyDeleteHey Ammena! I've been out of the blogloop myself actually, but I haven't been reading other people's posts...I seriously need to get that changing blogroll you have because I would totally read them all if I had that. I can't ask Urfi how to do it since he doesn't even know how to change the pic/word of the week....