In relation to a post on Mollys blog so long ago I decided at the time that I would like to do a similar post.. and here it is, I will probably write this over the course of a few days maybe so forgive the haphazardness :D
In honor of moving back to UK by the end of the year insha'allah I would like to make a list for me to look back on and remember the good times I had here in Canada and to remind myself what I was looking forward to when Im in England. So here it is, a list of things I will miss about Canada, and things I'm looking forward to not having to put up with anymore; then a list of things I'm looking forward to back home, and things I am not looking forward to when I get back to UK. The things I will miss are in blue, things I will not miss are in green
Oh Canada!
1. I will miss my mum and my stepdad
I wont miss being expected to visit them everyother weekend (90mins drive away) and to spend all my time with them while they critise my clothes, and people who arent like them
2. I will miss certain foods, like jello cups and iced tea (we dont have iced tea in UK, can you believe!?)
I wont miss having all my vegetables wasted because they go off so quickly
3. I will miss the good friends that I have made over here even if they dont live around the corner, I will miss being on the same time zone (as I know how horrible it is with my friends in UK)
I will not miss the people who I have been forced to hang around with and those who are FWIS (friends when it suits) clean slate :D
4. I will miss the countryside over here.. the point that you have to drive far to get away from it all, and the hundreds of cities that I am yet to visit
I will not miss having to drive a long time to just see a friend, although I prob wont have a car in London, so I will also not miss the price of petrol at the moment
5. I will miss being the english person who sounds so different to most people around me
I will not miss being the english person who has to repeat everything just to fun
6. I will miss it being just me in my flat.. not having to worry about anyone else
But then I will not miss being on my own (confused?)
7. I will miss the yearly conferences I have the opportunity to go to (even if I dont go to them all)
I will not miss the sneaking around that usually accompanies these conferences
8. Im looking forward to getting back into my yoga insha'allah
Im not looking forward to the propsect of missing a winter of snowboarding here.
The thing that is weird for me after just reading through Mollys list is that I dont class Canada as my home, yes Ive lived here for 4 years now, I have lived on my own for more than half of that time, I have worked in 2 jobs (the only 2 since finishing uni) and I have built somewhat of a life here. It still isnt my home!
The United Kingdom!
1. Im looking forward to being with the rest of my family, my mums & dads, all of them.. down to the 2nd cousins I now have, some I havent met and my friends too.. and their little ones who I have been away from for so long.
Im not looking forward to tiptoeing around them, but at least I know they will expect less of me. Im also not looking forward to having to explain my whereabouts to them for my mums knowledge, but again.. anything is better than it being from my mum
2. Im looking forward to getting married insha'allah and starting a new life in London (if hes still there, remember us in your duaa)
Im not looking forward to having to deal with 'someone else' but all the positives highly outweigh the negatives, espcially after around 5 years apart
3. Im looking forward to getting into the muslim community in London, whether it be lunch with my girls (yes I have many people to meet face to face down there) / parties at Ines' heehee or becoming involved with helping the younger kids (there is some organisations I would like to help) or just simply visiting the masjids and lectures (i have a feed for a yahoo group on my page that links you to all the activities in England.. there are so many things going in on London alhamdulillah)
Im not looking forward to trying to break into this community, but its the means to an end
4. Im looking forward to travelling more around the world (money wise it will be easier)
Im not looking forward to the travelling that will need to be done to visit friends and family (Dee & jules, you will have to come down to London)
5. Im looking forward to learning about my new husband and his family, and insha'allah learning arabic
Im not looking forward (much) to being a wife, but Im sure I will get over it.
6. Im looking forward to fresh food that doesnt go off at the drop of a hat from local markets, proper vegetarian meals, good restaurants, and actually cooking decent stuff (i see to have stopped cooking here and started removing things from packages)
Im not looking forward to what he expects of me in terms of cooking (Im sure he will realise soon enough)
I think thats my list :D feel free to remind me of anythings :) just to let you all know.. Im
thats quite a thought provoking list...with hijrah looming it's pushed me into a slightly different frame of mind....I'm going away to have a ponder.....subhanallah thats the second thing this weeks thats made me want to reasses some stuff (in a good way!!)
ReplyDeletexxx
salam, I would love to read your list kate :D insha'allah
ReplyDeleteAsSalaam Alaikum
ReplyDeleteAn interesting list. It will be interesting too to look back in a year's time to see if the ups and downs have been the same as you were expecting.
Assalaamu alaikum,
ReplyDeleteAn interesting list - this should be a meme! Would be interesting to see what you would both put on your lists Kate and Somayya. I think I should do one!
Wow, definitely different from my list. I think you're right that everything is different when you are coming from a place you don't consider home and going to a place you do.
ReplyDeleteI answered your comment on my post dear. :)
When do you leave for london?
leave? not for awhile yet.. Im looking at october time insha'allah. thanks for your responsing comment on ur blog.. I hope i didnt put it across that I was sayin it wasnt allowed, I was stating do we have a right to state something that we dont like... interesting, I never knew Fatima (ra) did that.. research time :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome list ma'shaAllah. I certainly would not miss the TTC if I left Toronto :)
ReplyDeleteI spy the Journey of Faith banner on your blog. I'm really excited about it! Will you be attending insha'Allah?
yes insha'allah im going :) paid for my ticket on thursday :D
ReplyDelete