yesterday was a big day alhamdulillah, well yesterday after iftar was a big day :D although not technically a day, big enough to be called one. I started earlier than maghrib though when I was trying to find out from a friend where the iftar was that I had been invited too. Alhamdulillah I found out and it was at my mosque :) so I set off a little early as asked and wondered how it would be. I prayed a little before going in and eventually found Mohammed the man I work with after being told, 'the ladies are in there' I smiled shyly and thanked the tall young gentleman who had sternly told me this. As I walked into the room off the main corridor i noticed the number of tables and was shocked at how many there were, I hadnt expected this to be only me & his family, but i hadnt expected around 20 tables full. Then I made a little prayer and asked that they be rewarded for putting this on, insha'allah. I immediately spotted Mohammed as he walked over to me, and pulled (although not literally) me to meet his daughter, who would introduce me to her mother and s-i-l, and his 2 sons soon after. Masha'allah, they are such a cute family all together working to help the community.
As I stood around not knowing quite what to do I suddenly felt back in Bradford, the whole room was full of pakistanis (not that there is anything wrong with that masha'allah) and I suddenly felt like the odd one out :P I was aware of ppl watching me and aware that I couldnt understand the majority of the conversations around me. I was extremely grateful for the adhan for maghrib as I was handed a plate with a samosa & 2 pitted dates on, also a cup of what i thought was milk but to my surprise it had a sweet aroma almost like mango.. im sure someone will tell me what i drank :) it was nice.. I was also grateful to be able to pray too with all the ladies. I also bumped into a lady I have seen frequently at taraweeh and some ladies I met when I went to the 1 and only quran arabic class at the other masjid.
I walked back down to the eating area to looks of confusion, I actually expected someone to tell me this was invitation only, but noone did alhamdulillah. I pulled funny faces with a few kids there and then it was time to line up for food. Plate full of spicy chick peas & salad for me :( thats why i dont like big functions like this.. there is never anything for the vegetarians to eat.. the rice was cooked with lamb and the potatoes with some sort of meat too :( Allahu alim. I ended up sitting on a table with another odd person :) a nice black lady by the name of mariam masha'allah. The other lady (from taraweeh) joined us too and we had good conversations alhamdulillah. Then everyone was leaving for home, I thanked my hosts daughter and told her to pass on my thanks to her dad and arranged to meet up one weekend with our mutual friend insha'allah.
Walking out I was trying to decide whether to stay at the masjid for taraweeh or go home, when I found a voice message on my phone from a girl i met at taraweeh last year alhamdulillah. She was coming over tonight and was still unsure whether to stay the night, we talked and I decided to go home to pick up a few bits... the bad thing was, by the time I got home i had missed the adhan for isha so totally forgot about it until i was in the midst of the taraweeh salah.
Anyways, we prayed the 20 rakahs alhamdulillah and the witr salah too then sat down to read quran. I gave her a present of a stitching I had made a while ago for her and we chatted a little. But mostly we read and prayed... i ended up leaving probably about 1230 with her and it felt good.. a real boost of iman alhamdulillah.
So what do u say to someone who reminds you, after having had such a good experience at the masjid, that you should find and read the ahadith about the best place for a woman to pray :( Allahu alim
although the best place for a woman to pray is her home...the prophet muhammad (saws) also taught that if a woman expressed a desire to go to the masjid then she shouldn't be prevented masha'allah...as with all things it's about balance..;)
ReplyDeletexxx
salam, and that is exactly what I told him :D do you have a hadith for this sis? insha'allah
ReplyDeleteAssalamu alaikom,
ReplyDeleteSounds like a nice time. I'll eat the portions you can't. I'm hungry just thinking about it. :) "Best place is in the home", yeah, but that's not the case for converts, IMO. We need the community for the guidance and the socialization! Anyway, take care!
e-s
Salam
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good time :)
About staying at home - my interpretation of that is that women usually have husbands and children to take care of and if it was made manditory to go to mosque it would be very difficult - but if you are single or married and have the time why not go - its a place to learn about your religion!
al hamdulilah :) I agree with Aalya,,,but we all need to get out and get a change. Incha'allah.
ReplyDeleteis it hard being vegetarian and muslim?
ReplyDeletethanks for the thoughts girls :) I too agree... if something isnt being put on the back burner then why cant we go if we choose to? esp for taraweeh.. I would be saying the same verses in my head over and over again, and would miss out on the duaas they say at the end of finishing the quran and every night too :(
ReplyDeleteAnge: its as hard as being a vegetarian and non muslim ;) the only extra thing I have to deal with is muslims telling me 'but its halal' lol
Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), 'Do not prevent women from attending the mosque, even though their houses are better for them.' [Abu Dawud]
ReplyDelete