So last week I stopped by my ex-local post office to post off a relatively large ($45 shipping worth) of hijabs to Ines :D jazakAllah khair sis :) Anyways, the woman behind the counter enquires about my situation because she was the person who I gave in the notice the weekend before to get my mail redirected to my mums. It was nice she remembered my situation but then she always has. So she started off the next conversation like this,
Her: so what are you?
Me: confused look, huh?
Her: like your religion?
Me: while writing Ines address on the envelope, Islam, Im a muslim
It was pretty normal until then, then it went plain old weird and somewhat offensive
Her: so are you a strict one?
Me: laughs, depends what you mean by strict
Her: well do you eat the...
I stop her, Im vegetarian I tell her, so I dont eat any meat... thats a personal choice, not a religious
Her: but they dont eat the erm.... beef though do they
Me: I smile, thats hindus and sikhs... muslims dont eat pork
She starts nodding like she totally understands, maybe she did.. who knows... Then she asks about my family, if my parents eat 'the pork' yeh... shes canadian!! I tell her yes they do because they arent muslim. At this point I was getting tired and I wanted to finish off my errands but she carried on, but shes confused and looks at me point blank until I tell her I converted awhile ago... ooh she says and nods like that just explains it all
Her: I knew when I first saw you that you were different, I said to myself as I saw you wearing that head thing that you didnt look like one of them
At this point I could get really offended but she still hasnt finished my packages so I let her go on, she proceeds to ask why I started looking into Islam
Me: I looked into cathodicism and I still had the same issues as with chrisitianity
Her: Ooh, you should have chose that, thats what I am!
At that point I was flabbergasted and thats where I will finish this post after telling you about a little bit regarding The kite runner
Her: Have you read his other book? One thousand splendid suns?
Me: I have it, but I havent gotten around to reading it yet
Her: When I read it, I swear if one of those guys were in the same room I would have slapped them. I know I know its their...
she went to say religion and I butted in
Me: Its not their religion its their culture (I dont even know the situation shes talking about but just guessed)
She nodded
Her: yeh yeh, I know
and passified me! she passified me! subhanallah... at that point I dropped the whole thing and thanked her for the help. Allahu alim
ugh. I like to think people mean well, and are curious, but when they start to be rude and disrespectful, it's hard to keep your cool. It seems like you did though, mashaAllah. You're doing good dawah none the less.
ReplyDeleteDo I get to wear any of the scarves? lol Hopefully they'll get here before I leave for dz, inshallah. Take care sis and I see you soon, inshallah. Bon voyage, remember us in your du'as.
ReplyDeleteya masha'allah good dawah...
ReplyDeleteand I'm glad you didn't get offended too much. Sometimes you can talk until ur blue in the face and if they are not open or listening... there is nothing you can do.
I dunno if I coulda kept my cool as wella s you.. so al hamdulilliah
Lol! People are sooo funny! I had a women ask me why my daughter (who is 3!!) doesn't wear a scarf. Some people don't have a clue!
ReplyDeleteAssalamu alaikom,
ReplyDeleteYeah, I've had those weird conversations too. It gets very tiresome after a while but... What'cha gonna do...
Umm-T
Assalamualaikum,
ReplyDeleteMost of the time, people only ask me politely out of curiosity. It does irk me when they're uncouth. Thankfully, I hardly get that. :)
W'salam,
Hajar