12 February 2009

Feet and salah (esp in Jummah)

Assalamalikum girls, so I was going through old 360 blogs and came across this.. I know Ive read opinions on Chasing Jannah and Beautiful muslimah, but I thought I would post this again to see everyones opinion. So heres the old blog
"Im not gonna get all preachy dont worry. I went for Taraweeh last night alhamdulillah, and this subject was addressed (not in talking, I mean in me) I personally cover my feet during salah, either with socks or my prayer dress, and I try to at the majority of the times except during summer when its sometimes just too uncomfortable for socks & shoes (I cant wear shoes without socks!) So anyways.... when in ruku I look at the space where my head will go in prostration but sometimes I catch the woman infront of me. And I have to admit, I hate feet... they make me feel sick, especially dry cracked heels and funny toes, alhamdulillah we have them but i feel uncomfortable around uncovered ones. So when I was just looking around I noticed the number of women in bare feet and how nasty their feet were, it was just soo distracting that I came to the conclusion that I would never like someone to feel as uncomfortable as I did then while I am praying in the masjid, so I will always cover my feet insha'allah. I just wanted to tell you all to look after your feet and be aware of others around you."

5 comments:

  1. LOL!!!! As nasty as that is... that is so true! It is distracting to see cracked heels in salah! Once I prayed behind a woman who started scratching her heel in tashahhud and dry flakes of skin fell all over the carpet! Ahhh! On the other hand, my friend loves wacky socks. Once she wore 1 sock with sushi on it and the other one with pictures of stationary items on it (yah.. she's weird lol) and after salah a friend who prayed behind her asked that she try to wear plain socks in the masjid because she kept staring at the pictures on her socks! There is a hadith where the Prophet (SAW) commented on distraction in prayer due to patterned clothing and I think we should consider this when dressing to go to the masjid or somewhere where we will pray in Jama'ah.

    Anywho, socks and feet with salah is a much debated issue. While most Hanafis, and thus, Pakistani and Indian people, do not cover their feet in salah, or in general, most scholars advice we do - just to err on the side of caution. There is more evidence for covering the feet than there is to not. And Allah knows best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt mean for it to be nasty... insha'allah noone takes offence. eee... skin flakes :( you know, Im known for my socks too and I never even thought about it like that so thanks for bringing it up sis.. I will remember that in the future insha'allah. Do you have the hadith? JazakAllah khair

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamualaikum sister,

    Been a silent reader lurking in your blog, but this post is the ultimate icebreaker. LoL.

    Over here, most of the women adorn the prayer clothes that basically cover the feet, albeit I have seen unsightly scenes overseas. I got perpetually distracted by it!

    W'salam,
    Hajar

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Aishah reports that the Messenger of Allah prayed in a cloak which had some designs on it. He said: "These designs have distracted me. Take [this cloak] to Abu Jahm [i.e., the person who gave it to the Prophet] and bring me a plain cloak." This is related by al-Bukhari and Muslim.

    Al-Bukhari records that Anas said: "'Aishah had a curtain to cover [the doorway of] her house. The Prophet said to her: 'Remove your curtain for its picturcs always distract me during my prayers.'"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't thought about the to cover or not to cover the feet debate this way. I don't like seeing people's feet either, and I don't feel comfortable showing mine. You raise a very good point :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, baring in mind that I dont have to accept them if they show ignorance, hatred or racism.. but I generally accept them all because what free country do we live in if you cant express yourself through my blogs?

UK Islamic Events Feed