1 December 2009

Im back

Assalamalikum ladies,
so yes Im back from the long weekend with my mum and by long I mean Friday to Monday not long in the mental sense of the word.. although it does come to mind too lol. So it started on Friday, I left about 615 from my flat after a long farewell to hubby and a lil Eid gift from me and a 'dont go yet' from him... it was mentally painful to be pulled away from him on our first Eid together as man and wife and I wont be doing that for a long time insha'Allah. I picked up my mum at Gatwick and we drove over to Oxford with the usual mutterings and random conversations that we both involve ourselves in. It was nice alhamdulillah, I hadnt told her that A was coming over yet.. well I had asked her and she had sort of left it open to me so I hadnt given her a date. I wont bore you with the depressing writing of going through my dead uncles personal belongings, the tears, the questions, the findings, the threats, the feelings of rummaging through a charity shop because I do believe that is personal but I just wanted to give you an idea there. This was the baby of 9 children from my grandparents and he was just 8 years younger than my mum so they grew up together along with another brother inbetween the two.
Anyways, Friday night she asked me about A... so I told her, hes coming tomorrow which is when the Spanish inquisition started. Wheres he from? where are his parents living? is he using you? do you have to change religions for him? she was shocked that his parents knew about me because she had it in her head that him (being pakistani and muslim-although the muslim bit was an assumption on her part!) that he couldnt be involved with anyone outside 'his own' as she nicely put it. She worries about me, I get that... but how would I know if he was only after a passport unless I knew him after he has his passport lol :D It was funny, I had a semi strong conversation with her about the fact that yes A is pakistani and yes A is 6ft1.. her answer? 'but Pakistanis arent tall' and she just kept repeating it until we both laughed and she commented 'so hes going in the loft then yeh?!' lol :) was a breakthrough
We picked him up early Saturday morning and they had the little small talk chat that you can have with one person in the back and one in the front. He asked how her flight went, if she had always lived near Toronto over there the usual things really. I felt a strain though and prayed it wouldnt be like this all day, my two cousins turned up around 11ish I think, I introduced them to him too.. I wasnt worried about these two, I knew they wouldnt be bothered by any outward physical issues (colour of skin, accent, blah blah) so I was completely comfortable with them being around him. And I was right, they both loved him and his accent, of course when we were all together that evening there was a little conversation about him, and again the passport issue came up. My cousins couldnt sit there for that and chipped in that it could happen to anyone and that if you found the right person that it didnt matter and you would never know unless u gave it a try, alhamdulillah I was so glad they were there.
Before the Saturday was over me, my mum and A went for some food and took it back to our hotel to eat before I took A back to the train station. When he was getting up to leave she decided to use that time to warn him and to make him promise to look after me, which I have no doubt of alhamdulillah. They had a little natter too about how my mum was when she was younger compared to me as he told her he was shocked at how active she was lol :D thats my mum ;) She even asked if he was coming back the next day which I thought was a good sign, all in all it was a good day for A with my mum and for that Im grateful Alhamdulillah.
The rest of the weekend passed pretty much the same as the friday except with a little bit of shopping and more tears, questions and anger. Understandable really when you think my mum has come all the way from Canada to sort out the house when my uncle who lives about 20mins away cant be bothered because he has what he wants. But I wont go into that.
It took me 2.5 hours to drive my mum to her hotel yesterday, which was a nightmare especially when I had another 45 minutes to drive home to my husband after that but oh well. I left her in a few tears with a 'look after youself and be careful' to which I repeated her words with a 'love you' thrown in to give her some comfort. She texted me this morning to tell me she had gotten in to Canada fine but now begins another stage for her as her father in law passed away in Florida over the weekend. So they will be driving to Buffalo tonight for the funeral on Wednesday afternoon :( may God look over and protect them all Ameen.
And me? well after unloading my car of all the bits and pieces I took from my uncles that was going to get thrown away to remind me of him, me and A went to IKEA seeing as we had the car and bought a new coffee table which he lovingly made up last night before coming to bed at a very late time considering he had to be up at 430 for work. Needless to say I think he was probably a little late this morning lol :D If hes reading this... I missed you way too much this weekend...

Anyways thats me for now.. Ive got an interview this evening in Stevenage (yes far!) but Allahu alim right?! insha'Allah it will work out good whatever way. Peace and salams
Ammena

9 comments:

  1. sis you didn't say if A liked your Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. A im happy for you. and you mum is being, well ya know a mum. but im happy that all ended well. now you can start planning babies...rofl....just. messing with you. ya know its the mozlem in me. be fruitful...lol...ok...ok..i'll stop. i cant wait to share me 'i do' experiences. with you. ya know your sis here, moi, is a nut...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. please don't tell me you were at my IKEA...please please we must meet soon inshallah

    ReplyDelete
  4. the homie in MI ;)December 02, 2009 1:46 am

    Assalamu alaikom,
    I was wondering that, too! :) What are his thoughts on how it went with your mom? I'm so glad they've met and spent some time together!

    I can appreciate her concern and I smiled at the fact that she warned him that he'd better do right by you. :) She loves you. :)I hope she is accepting of your relationship and that your family and his get along. That's SO important (in the way that it is such a struggle if the families do not get along.)

    You and your family are certainly in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry to hear about your stepfather's loss.

    eyes serene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah you didnt say...but in glad it went well...You recieved an award - http://humblemuslimah.blogspot.com/2009/12/bear-hugs-are-best-you-know-that-right.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. well he said she wasnt as bad as he was expecting. Said she was really energetic masha'allah and that I do look alot like her ;) also commented that she does the same talking things that I do (scousers and their fast talking lol)
    Cant wait to hear your experiences either Rabz
    Ines, we went to Croydon IKEA I dont think thats 'your IKEA' right?
    Thanks for the comments ladies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salams.

    Sounds like things are off to a good start :)

    How did you and A meet?

    My family had similar concerns when I married my husband (about passport etc...), they were just so jaded about by the media and awful stories. Alhamdulillah everything has worked out for the best, and my family LOVES my husband and they respect for him.

    How did you end up in England, and your family in canada? Sounds like an interesting post for the future ;)

    Be well sister,

    iMuslimah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salams,

    Ah mums eh?! Just spent a week with mine!

    Stevenage you say? What company?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No Ammena you were at MY IKEA!! Humph.

    Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the upset with your family but all in all I see this as a positive post. It must be such a weight of your mind now they have met and got on.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, baring in mind that I dont have to accept them if they show ignorance, hatred or racism.. but I generally accept them all because what free country do we live in if you cant express yourself through my blogs?

UK Islamic Events Feed