March 30th 2010 ;)
We just landed in Muscat, Oman. Felt the heat as soon as we stepped off the plane 24oC at 0845.
Just waiting for hubby to make wudu then pray fajr, as soon as you stepped through security we saw a sign for a prayer room :) We arrived here really early, was supposed to be 0900 but I cant see us leaving earlier but oh well.
Lots of people in more traditional 'islamic' wear working in higher positions you wouldnt see in the UK. The airport is very quiet in comparision but the area looks amazing. The water, dry land, sparse housing, few cars on even fewer roads. I think we are both too used to congested cities now :(
Very tired!! Upset stomach. Did I mention tired?? and I cant see myself getting to bed early tonight
Flight to Karachi very different, plane much smaller for obvious reasons ( local flight) Im the only whitie on the plane, but it doesnt feel intimidating at all. Everything is said in English although I did get asked 'chai?' I could totally pass as a Pakistani, pale.. but still ;)
Lady complaining about there being a fish option, go figure! 'Im Pakistani, not...' She didnt finish the sentence and said it in plain English :D
Hubby is helping the guy next to him fill out his disembarkment card. Did I mention we are in 18 B+C, not 17 F+E like our tickets say?
31oC ground temperature he says, hmm. Hubby doesnt think hes used to Pakistani mentality (especially the lack of manners) anymore. The queueing, of lack of, already got my back up
Discending
Settled
Everything is great alhamdulillah, his family have welcomed me with an open heart and open arms.
They picked us up from the airport, although werent there at the gates like we expected. As soon as they saw us there were smiles all around, ami cried as she hugged us both and I was a little tearful too.
I tried to keep my eyes closed on the drive home, which was hard sometimes but I trust them and they know the roads better than me.
We gave out the presents which they all loved, especially the photos frame for ami and the body shop goodies. We ate something Ive never had before and I was impressed that it wasnt that spicy for me. Had it with fresh naan that worked out abotu 7p each, when we pay 25p for a sub standard version from Tooting! I think I can live off the naan.
Phoned mum and dad, dads birthday on Saturday.
An auntie is here, came while I slept for about 4 hours, but Im hiding upstairs as I cant be bothered putting on my scarf :( will meet another time insha'Allah
XX
We just landed in Muscat, Oman. Felt the heat as soon as we stepped off the plane 24oC at 0845.
Just waiting for hubby to make wudu then pray fajr, as soon as you stepped through security we saw a sign for a prayer room :) We arrived here really early, was supposed to be 0900 but I cant see us leaving earlier but oh well.
Lots of people in more traditional 'islamic' wear working in higher positions you wouldnt see in the UK. The airport is very quiet in comparision but the area looks amazing. The water, dry land, sparse housing, few cars on even fewer roads. I think we are both too used to congested cities now :(
Very tired!! Upset stomach. Did I mention tired?? and I cant see myself getting to bed early tonight
| Little kid taking a much needed nap |
Flight to Karachi very different, plane much smaller for obvious reasons ( local flight) Im the only whitie on the plane, but it doesnt feel intimidating at all. Everything is said in English although I did get asked 'chai?' I could totally pass as a Pakistani, pale.. but still ;)
Lady complaining about there being a fish option, go figure! 'Im Pakistani, not...' She didnt finish the sentence and said it in plain English :D
Hubby is helping the guy next to him fill out his disembarkment card. Did I mention we are in 18 B+C, not 17 F+E like our tickets say?
31oC ground temperature he says, hmm. Hubby doesnt think hes used to Pakistani mentality (especially the lack of manners) anymore. The queueing, of lack of, already got my back up
Discending
Settled
Everything is great alhamdulillah, his family have welcomed me with an open heart and open arms.
They picked us up from the airport, although werent there at the gates like we expected. As soon as they saw us there were smiles all around, ami cried as she hugged us both and I was a little tearful too.
I tried to keep my eyes closed on the drive home, which was hard sometimes but I trust them and they know the roads better than me.
We gave out the presents which they all loved, especially the photos frame for ami and the body shop goodies. We ate something Ive never had before and I was impressed that it wasnt that spicy for me. Had it with fresh naan that worked out abotu 7p each, when we pay 25p for a sub standard version from Tooting! I think I can live off the naan.
Phoned mum and dad, dads birthday on Saturday.
An auntie is here, came while I slept for about 4 hours, but Im hiding upstairs as I cant be bothered putting on my scarf :( will meet another time insha'Allah
XX
The lady on the plane might have meant "I'm Pakistani, not Bengali!" - fish is a basic staple of Bangladeshi food, sometimes with several fish or seafood options served at one meal, and there are old Bangladesh/Pakistan tensions arising in part from a 1971 civil war with Bangladesh back when it was still part of Pakistan. So maybe she was about to spout some anti-Bangladesh statement?
ReplyDeleteThats exactly what I thought about the comment when she said it. I knew fish was a big bengali thing so I kinda figured.. the fact she was saying all this in English just made me giggle and she seemed so rude I realised she must have some sort of conscience to not carry on with the statement ;)
ReplyDelete